Beginner questions

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Hi, I am currently writing a scientific application using WPF and MVVM.  I am working alone on this project, although I hope to be able to hire some help soon.  The application solution consists of many different projects, each of which is a library or control.  Control examples would be a chart viewer to  examine data, or a control to select specific data from the database to display in other controls or analyze.

I am using MEF for some very basic UI tasks, but I have to confess that I got it to work and then kind of left it alone- the reason being that I really dont understand the advantages it might offer.

Given my application, and I know its a very brief description, could someone explain how dependency injection and IoC can make my life easier?  I have heard of people who instantiate -every- object in their apps via unity, which sounds complicated.  I like simple, I like maintainable, I like things that can make my job easier- especially since being a single man team anything I do that can reduce development time is fantastic.

Thanks!