Resolve registered named dependency to resolve registered unnamed type

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:26 AM
Edited Jan 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM

I have multiple membership providers (for multiple Active Directory domains, see I want to abstract a membership provider away behind a IMembershipService interface that is extracted from the MembershipProvider base class. This interface is implemented by a MembershipService class that acts as a proxy for a MembershipProvider that takes this MembershipProvider as a dependency injected in the constructor.

public interface IMembershipService
        MembershipServiceUser GetUser(string username);
    public class MembershipService : IMembershipService
        private readonly MembershipProvider membershipProvider;

public MembershipService(MembershipProvider membershipProvider)
            Contract.Requires(membershipProvider != null);
            this.membershipProvider = membershipProvider;

public MembershipServiceUser GetUser(string username)
            MembershipServiceUser result = null;

var user = membershipProvider.GetUser(username, false);

if (user != null)
                result = new MembershipServiceUser
                    UserName = user.UserName,
                    Email = user.Email,
                    ProviderUserKey = user.ProviderUserKey.ToString()

return result;

I have also created a MembershipServiceUser class that I can serialize.

I will register the IMembershipService interface to the MembershipService class without specifying a registration name.

I will register each MembershipProvider instance as a named instance using the provider name by enumerating Membership.Providers.

foreach (MembershipProvider provider in Membership.Providers)
                Container.RegisterInstance<MembershipProvider>(provider.Name, provider);

I would then like to be able to resolve an IMembershipService instance using the provider name (even though the IMembershipService interface itself is registered without specifying a registration name) and have Unity use that provider name to resolve the MembershipService class' dependency on a named MembershipProvider instance.

So I would like to be able to do

without having to say anything about the MembershipProvider dependency that the MembershipService class has, because in this code I should not have any knowledge of what type IMembershipService is resolved to. In this code I only have knowledge of the IMembershipService interface and the name of the provider and should not care how this is resolved. Is this possible with Unity? Should I use some other pattern, like a factory?

Jan 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Unity doesn't support this out of the box, no.

The easiest thing to do is register the IMembershipService in your for loop:

foreach (MembershipProvider provider in Membership.Providers)
    Container.RegisterType<IMembershipService, MembershipService>(provider.Name,
        new InjectionConstructor(
new ResolvedParameter<MembershipProvider>(provider.Name))) .RegisterInstance<MembershipProvider>(provider.Name, provider); }
That gives you the effect you want with minimal extra code and no jumping through hoops.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:42 AM

cool. thanks