The value of the property 'type' cannot be parsed.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:34 PM
Hey if you dont mind can you tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong
My Config looks like this

<typeAlias alias="singleton" type="Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ContainerControlledLifetimeManager, Microsoft.Practices.Unity"/>

<typeAlias alias="perThread" type="Microsoft.Practices.Unity.PerThreadLifetimeManager, Microsoft.Practices.Unity"/>

<typeAlias alias="external" type="Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ExternallyControlledLifetimeManager, Microsoft.Practices.Unity"/>

<typeAlias alias="ContentInterface" type="FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop.IContentInterop , FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop"/>

<typeAlias alias="ContentImplimentation" type="FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop.ContentInterop, FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop"/>

<container name="FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Production">

<type type="ContentInterface" mapTo="ContentImplimentation" />

My Intetrface starts like this

using System;

using FullLifeCycle.SiteData.DataTransfer;

namespace FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop

public interface IContentInterop : IDisposable

And my Class starts off like this

using System;

using FullLifeCycle.SiteData.DataTransfer;

namespace FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop

public class ContentInterop :IContentInterop

When I call the service I get the below error in the container manager in reference to the highlighted line above.

This is the line in the Container manager that fails

var section = (UnityConfigurationSection)ConfigurationManager.GetSection(ConfigurationKey);

The value of the property 'type' cannot be parsed.

The error is: Could not load type 'FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop.IContentInterop ' from assembly 'FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop'.

(G:\Code\WCF Services\FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Service.root\FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Service\web.config line 34)

I know it is something simple I'm doing wrong all the searches Im doing give me no good options...

Thanks in advance for ANY pointers you might have. This is killing me...

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

The obvious question is, is that the correct typename and assembly?  I think FullLifeCycle.SiteData.Interop is actually a namespace and not the assembly name.  I'm only guessing since I saw your using statement for FullLifecycle.SiteData.DataTransfer.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:55 PM

In this instance it is both the namespace and the assembly name. I kept them the same for this solution.
Just as a point of structure I am implimenting this solution as a six project solution

DataLayer : Connection to SQL for reads/Writes
DataTransfer : Converts Data Objects to a common format shared with all other Layers
Interop : Funnels traffic into and out of Data layer
Operaton : Business Rules Engine
Implimentation : Groups all the calls into "ready to use calls" for UI application or Service use
Service : one line service calls that are a pass through to the Implimentation layer

The Assembly name and default namespace is FullLifeCycle.SiteData.LayerName

With the exception of the Implimentation project there is no need for sub folders / namespace paths.

As a result all objects are located in the root of the namespace/Assembly

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Turns out there was a compiler error. in the past when I've had weird non-error errors.

1. I have closed the IDE.
  2. went in and deleted all the bin ad obj directorys
  3. Open the solution
  4. Batch build the solution

And magically the issue went away....