Unity 2.0 Beta 1 Released

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Hey folks! In case you hadn't noticed, our latest source code drop is actually a binary with MSI! Please go to our release landing page for the details of what's in it and where to download it (from here on Codeplex).

Please, if you haven't had a chance to play with the 2.0 bits yet, or didn't want to deal with compiling the source, please grab this MSI and try it out. We really need feedback, good, bad, or indifferent!

Also, we've released a beta of Enterprise Library 5.0. This may be of interest to you because this includes our first cut at a configuration editor for Unity, integrated into the rest of the Entlib configuration experience. For the final release, we're planning on shipping the Unity configuration bits with the Unity installer as well, but for now it lives only in the Entlib MSI. So if you're interested in that head over to the Entlib release and try that out too!

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM

Hey Chris, I tried out the drop you posted here - http://unity.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=78242 and was happy about the change in the unity schema.  However, I just also tried out the beta release and played with the unity configuration tool and the schema for a constructor injection appears to use again the <param> element rather than the name of the parameter itself.  So, which one will be used for the final version?  I also assume that adding the namespace and assembly elements are not yet included in the config tool beta release?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:17 AM

<param> is what will be in the final version. It turned out to be basically impossible to properly represent the "tag name is the attribute name" in XSD, which resulted in lots of red squigglies and no intellisense in Visual Studio. Combine that with the difficultly of explaining the various different but equivalent ways to do this in the documentation, and the shortcut was simpler than it was worth. You should have an XSD installed with the beta, so if you put the xml namespace on your config file you'll get intellisense on the schema now. We figured this makes it even easier to type than with the shorthand, so we took the shorthand schema out.

Namespaces and assemblies are in the tool - expand the top level section properties and you'll see two dropdowns for namespace and assemblies. They aren't surfaced as a separate top-level item the way aliases are.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Chris:

I'm integrating a container for a new effort and am trying to figure out which version to build on.  I'd naturally prefer to start with the Beta (Look!!! Shiny!!!), but this will be going into a production environment in the next 4 weeks or so.  Do you have any sense of what your timeline looks like in terms of coming out of Beta with 2.0? 

Thanks

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:31 AM

They're planning to release a Beta 2 on March 15 and finally Unity 2.0 on April 14 - http://blogs.msdn.com/agile/archive/2010/01/20/announcing-enterprise-library-5-0-and-unity-2-0-roadmap.aspx

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com