Unity 3.5 PCL Preview - your feedback is invited!

Coordinator
Apr 11 at 3:57 PM
Edited Apr 11 at 4:45 PM
Greetings!

We have shipped a preview of Unity 3.5 nuget packages via myget. With this release, our primary goal is to simplify cross-platform development of apps and services. The preview includes the following:
Note, that the Registration by convention feature needed to be pulled out in a separate dll to provide platform-specific implementations.

How to get involved?
1) Try it, discuss it, provide us your feedback

2) Spread the news and help amplify the message
3) Improve Unity by sending a pull request

~Grigori
Coordinator
May 15 at 9:16 PM
If any one is interested in support for Windows Phone 8.1, we now have a pre-release available:
https://www.nuget.org/packages/Unity/3.5.1405-prerelease
Jun 4 at 12:15 AM
Edited Jun 4 at 12:17 AM
If I'll prepare working port to Silverlight 5/PCL with Silverlight 5 support, is it possible, that it will be merged or it won't be even reviewed?
Coordinator
Jun 4 at 12:31 AM
It's definitely possible. I'll check with our team about the impact it would have on our test surface.
You'll also need to sign a CLA if you haven't done so already.
Coordinator
Jun 4 at 4:36 PM
We're interested in this pull request. We'd really like it if it included unit tests for the platform. We suspect that will take some platform specific code.
Jun 7 at 12:58 AM
I'm waiting for my employer to sign CLA (I hope that it will be done today). Besides of this I want to do a little clean up of my work.
Now I have working PCL Unity assembly with Silverlight 5 support and separate Silverlight 5 versions of Unity.Interceptors and Unity.RegistrationByConvention. Also I created Silverlight test assembly where I added all appropriate tests. For restoring Silverlight 5 support I've taken some sources from Unity 2.1 Silverlight version.
I still have some questions about some decisions for SL compatibility. What will be better - discuss them in this thread or create new thread for it?
Editor
Jun 7 at 3:23 AM
I would say start a new thread dedicated to Silverlight.
Jun 21 at 10:57 AM
Are there plans on making Unity.Interception a PCL? It would be nice to hear the plans on this assembly. Thank you!
Editor
Jun 22 at 4:42 AM
No, I don't believe there are any plans right now; some of the interception approaches (e.g. MarshalByRefObject) are not supported in PCL.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Coordinator
Jun 23 at 4:25 PM
Randy is correct, Unity.Interception as a PCL is not currently on our roadmap.
Aug 26 at 6:32 PM
Hi,

I have messing with this pre release of Unity and I have had many blockers. One of them is the fact I need to have my Views and ViewModels all in the same dll.

I have the need to have multiple dlls and and each of them need to have their own set of Views and VIewModels. Is there a way to do this currently?

If yes can you provide some guidance in how to do so? I am keen to get this to work.

Many thanks
Seb
Editor
Aug 27 at 3:34 AM
Edited Aug 27 at 3:34 AM
Can you explain specifically what is blocking you?

Thanks.
Aug 28 at 4:44 PM
Hi,

I am using it with prism like all the example have seen have shown.

The view ViewModelLocationProvider registers the view with its ViewModel.

They are many ways to do this. Using the SetDefaultViewModelFactory or Register the views and ViewModels Manually.
For any of these methods the Views and ViewModels need to be in the same dll. I have not managed to have different sets of Views and ViewModels in mutiple dlls.

Is there a way to do so? Can you provide a quick example maybe?

Many thanks
Seb
Editor
Aug 29 at 5:25 AM
In Unity directly you would just register your dependencies using RegisterType or RegisterInstance. There is no restriction on where classes are defined (except for scanning assemblies using Registration by Convention).

With Prism you can create a custom Bootstrapper and override the ConfigureContainer method to add custom registrations. I'm not very familiar with Prism at a low level so you might have better luck asking at the Prism Forum.