Small Application vs Large Application

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Edited Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Hi there:

I'm trying to decide whether the application I'm about to develop is considered a Small App or a Large App.

My primary interest is to decide whether Unity will bring benefits to my app or simply will complicate things.

I'm studying Dependency Injection with Unity, and I read: "Dependency injection can be overkill in a small application, introducing additional complexity and requirements that are not appropriate or useful"

I'm also planning to use Prism with Unity.

The app is aimed at small and medium size hotels, and it will be responsible for registering all hotel operations.

There will also be a General Ledger app that will register all money type operations and will receive those operations from the Hotel App automatically

Rafael
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM
The Dependency Injection Pattern is not bound to the use of a DI container. But a container will make your life far easier in the long run.

You object graph should be composed in a single place inside your application called the Composition Root. If you adhere to that principle you can always switch from Poor man's DI (DI without a container) to whatever container suits you best.
Having said that: As soon as your app grows beyond the size of HelloWorld! you should use a container.
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Edited Dec 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Hi:

Thank you for answering.

Acording to what I said, you think that my application meets the size that makes a DI Container useful and not overkill?
Dec 30, 2013 at 1:28 PM
If you use Prism with Unity, you have the container "just lying around" anyway. Configuring it is not that difficult. I'm sure you will benefit from it. So the answer is: Yes a container will be useful and not overkill.
Marked as answer by rafaelsoteldo on 12/30/2013 at 9:33 AM
Dec 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Thank you