Does Unity support Subscription/Publisher?

May 13, 2008 at 10:11 PM
Guys,

I have couple of questions related to Unity. We have been using CAB & EntLib with VS2005 and shipped products. Now we are planning to use Unity that will conflict with the CAB ObjectBuilder (based DI).
Is it possible to use CAB OB as well as Unity (which uses OB 2.0) in the same application?
Unity out of the box doesn't support subscription/Publisher as supported by CAB? Are you guys planning to support this?

Thanks
Sushil

May 14, 2008 at 12:08 AM
You can use CAB and Unity in the same project. You'll end up with two DI containers, and lots of confusion which probably isn't worth it. Unity is a DI container. CAB is a DI container, module loader, workspace manager, event publisher, and probably a floor wax and a dessert topping.

We don't have any plans to build an industrial strength pub/sub system as part of the Unity project. The Unity quickstarts include a sample event broker extension which does work pretty well, but it isn't as full featured as CAB (no threading support is the big difference). It's probably a good starting place to build one yourself.
May 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Hi ctavares,

Thanks for the reply. Good thing is we can use it. Couple of things I would like to mention here is in real world things work in a different way (don't get me wrong, I am trying to explain my situation), we have been working and using CAB at multi location on different project + product and has been shipped also. No one would like to scrap our more than year worth of work/rework to switch to Unity. It will be a slow transition down the road but to absorb Unity (I really like it) there has to be a convencing argument with commitment & encouragement from you guys that we can use it. Thanks for clarifying that we can use it but also your caution is legitimate that doesn't make sense to use two OB (CAB OB & Unity OB2.0) and two DI (CAB & Unity) in a same application.

Again thanks for your help.

Sushil

May 14, 2008 at 5:33 PM
FeiSushil,

Check this blog and he has good articles and how to move from CAB to Unity.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mpuleio/default.aspx

Cheers
Yaz
May 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM
I've been working on a more complex event broker that is an adaptation from CAB. I'm planning to add it to the UnityContrib section some time in the next few weeks.
May 14, 2008 at 7:05 PM

yazidarezki wrote:
FeiSushil,

Cheers
Yaz

Yaz,

Those articles are about moving from cWab to Unity, not CAB. Very, very different beasts.

-Chris
May 15, 2008 at 8:07 AM
Edited May 15, 2008 at 8:08 AM

ctavares wrote:

yazidarezki wrote:
FeiSushil,

Cheers
Yaz

Yaz,

Those articles are about moving from cWab to Unity, not CAB. Very, very different beasts.

-Chris

Chris,

You are absolutely right, however, it does give one an idea on how to go about moving from CAB to UNITY.

Yaz