Intellisense in config file?

Apr 18, 2008 at 7:33 PM
Hi
Is there anyway to get intellisense in the config file? I know it's kind of a minor thing, but my fingers are uncoordinated so the less typing I have to do, the better.

Thanks
Joe
Apr 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM
That would require writing a schema for the configuration file. Which is doable, but not something we have time for right now.

If anyone else would like to volunteer and add it to the contrib project, that'd be great!
May 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM
Joe,

I am on the process of writing this schema now and I will post the schema and installation instruction on contrib. site on early next week, probably Monday or latest as Tuesday CET.

Regards,
Alexander
May 9, 2008 at 3:17 PM
Alexander - I submitted one to the contrib site if you want to take a look at it -- first time I've ever done one, so I'm sure yours will be a vast improvement, but it might save you a little grunt work.

Thanks,
Joe

alexanderQX wrote:
Joe,

I am on the process of writing this schema now and I will post the schema and installation instruction on contrib. site on early next week, probably Monday or latest as Tuesday CET.

Regards,
Alexander

May 9, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Joe,

Thanks, I have been working on these in past so I take a look and normalized it if required. I should have it done by monday morning.

Regards,
Alexander
May 9, 2008 at 3:31 PM

{quote}
JoeLowrance wrote:
Alexander - I submitted one to the contrib site if you want to take a look at it -- first time I've ever done one, so I'm sure yours will be a vast improvement, but it might save you a little grunt work.

Thanks,
Joe

Where you placed it on the contrib site? I cant find it?

Regards,
Alexander
May 9, 2008 at 3:35 PM

ctavares wrote:
That would require writing a schema for the configuration file. Which is doable, but not something we have time for right now.

If anyone else would like to volunteer and add it to the contrib project, that'd be great!

Chris,

How do I submit something to the contrib project?

TIA
Yaz
May 9, 2008 at 4:02 PM
Yaz,

Go to Unity Contrib site http://www.codeplex.com/unitycontributions and see the Issue Tracker, open the work item Add intellisense for schema, add new comment for it and attach your schema file into it.

Regards,
Alexander
May 9, 2008 at 4:37 PM
http://www.codeplex.com/unitycontributions/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx

{quote}
alexanderQX wrote:

JoeLowrance wrote:

Thanks,
Joe

Where you placed it on the contrib site? I cant find it?

Regards,
Alexander

May 9, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Joe,

Thanks I already download it and working on some of the enhancements and normalization of it. There are some missing parts, like type element can contain one or more of typeConfig elements. Also XSD type definition should only be defined once and referenced on other elements or attributes. This normalization or minimizing the size of schema is important in order to keep Intellisense responding quickly to next possible choice of element or attribute.

Anyhow I think I have it revised by Monday.

Regards,
Alexander

ps. If any of you have done this already, please let me know.
May 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM
Looking forward to seeing it done right :)

Joe

alexanderQX wrote:
Joe,

Thanks I already download it and working on some of the enhancements and normalization of it. There are some missing parts, like type element can contain one or more of typeConfig elements. Also XSD type definition should only be defined once and referenced on other elements or attributes. This normalization or minimizing the size of schema is important in order to keep Intellisense responding quickly to next possible choice of element or attribute.

Anyhow I think I have it revised by Monday.

Regards,
Alexander

ps. If any of you have done this already, please let me know.

May 10, 2008 at 12:02 AM

Joe, it was well done, there were only these two cases I came across while review it. I will get couple of hours on Sunday to polish it and bring some more help text to intellisense from documentations.

May 12, 2008 at 1:35 AM
Edited May 12, 2008 at 11:38 AM

I uploaded the revised version of the unity schema and schema poster to Unity contrib site.
See the Unity Contrib Site and current pending patches at http://www.codeplex.com/unitycontributions/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx  

Regards,
Alexander

May 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM

There is a simple way to get intellisense in a config file.

Step 1:  Open your visual studio solution.

Step 2: Open app.config (or web.config as the case may be) for editing (keep editing window in focus). Bring up the properties window if it is hidden.

Step 3: Update the schemas property in the properties window to include ‘unity.xsd’. A popup dialog is there to assist the entry (Note: the popup dialogs look different on VS 2005 and VS 2008)

And that is all there is to it. No need to change any installed files. No need to restart your visual studio or even reopen the file. Intellisense would be available now. (This works for obtaining intellisense while editing any xml file in Visual Studio 2005 or 2008. As long as you associate the relevant schema as shown above. Very useful to test your schema when developing)