Do you have to use MSI'sf for releases?

Apr 6, 2008 at 2:43 AM
Any chance you might consider using zip files for releases - or at least something that doesn't put things in places I don't want or don't know about?
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:11 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2008 at 7:14 AM
We DID use a zip for the source code. MS Legal requires that all binaries go out inside a signed MSI.

I'm really confused why all the MSI hate recently. Every other DI container ships in an MSI and I don't hear people bitching about them.

All the MSI does is:

Put the binaries, help, and source code zips in the specified folder, add start menu shortcuts, and add the binaries to the KnownAssemblies registry key so they show up in the VS.NET ".NET" tab in the add references dialog. That's it. So now you know everything it puts everywhere.
Apr 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM
Personally, I prefer the installer. I think it makes it clearer what you have installed on your workstation. I only run the installer on my development workstation. For deployment, I either use xcopy or put them in the GAC.

PandaWood wrote:
Any chance you might consider using zip files for releases - or at least something that doesn't put things in places I don't want or don't know about?