Support for the Silverlight runtime?

Apr 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM
Any chance the current release will compile under the silverlight 2 beta runtime? Would this be a supported scenerio?
Apr 5, 2008 at 6:20 AM
There's always a chance. ;-)

I haven't tried it, but I did look through the Silverlight 2 docs, and it looks like everything we're using in the core container and ObjectBuilder is supported. So it might work. Give it a try and let us know if it works!

As for "supported", well, I guess it depends on what you mean by supported. It's not on our current backlog, and there's no promises that we won't use something in the framework that Silverlight doesn't do.
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:54 PM
No go.. I cannot build objectBuilder because the two classes are marked internal in silverlight 2.0 bits ( \2.0.30226.2\mscorlib.dll )

System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationInfo' is inaccessible due to its protection level
System.Runtime.Serialization.StreamingContext'is inaccessible due to its protection level

This is the second project I have tried to port that ran into this error. Let me know if you have any way to give some feed back to the silverlight team.

Thanks, Eric
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:03 AM
This will probably just annoy you, but go take a look at this post on my blog. I got it to work.
Apr 19, 2008 at 5:13 AM

ctavares wrote:
This will probably just annoy you, but go take a look at this post on my blog. I got it to work.

Annoy me... no way.. That is great news. Once I saw the amount of combile errors on object builder I decided I could not spend the time on a spike of a codebase I have little to no experience in. I have little experience with OB. I hate to admit I am a structure map person. That being said that is good news because looking around I have found that the other projects I would like to see on Silverlight... ie RhinoMocks or MOQ both rely on Castle.DynamicProxy. If you can get this code into UnityContrib, (or to me directly) I would be more than happy to be using Unity. As the'ers would say... Use the tool that works for you... In this case the Container that actually works in silverlight will be the one I use. I hate to say it but I took the 15 line IoC container and made that work for my use case. It took way less than 4 hours to produce. :-) If/when you are ready to share the code feel free to send it to the AspInsiders list or contact me directly!

Great news!