Provide Source via Codeplex

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:00 AM
Hi

Can you please provide the source code for Unity via codeplex? I think it was Jeff Atwood who said "codeplex doesn't scale without svn"

It's a bit a pain to download an msi, install it, unzip the source and relocate to the working directory. It'd be much better if I could just right click and hit update.

I'm sure many people will ditto these remarks.
Mar 31, 2008 at 8:53 PM
Actually... this is something I've been thinking about as well. It seems a little different to have EntLib and Unity living "in the cloud" (such a trendy term) and not directly accessible from CodePlex. I'm sure there's a good reason why, however. :-o
Apr 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM
Entlib & Unity are being run the same way p&p projects have always run; codeplex is a distribution mechanism, not our source code repository.

We have reporting requirements to our management that requires we use a custom internal TFS template for work items. Codeplex doesn't allow that, and it's a massive, enormous PITA to switch TFS servers, one for work items and one for source control. Therefore, we work on our internal TFS with the "right" template and do drops to Codeplex. Since there's no easy tools to sync source control repositories for TFS, we drop zips/msis instead of doing checkins.

Other projects may have other requirements, and therefore run differently. Entlib is the "crown jewel" of the p&p deliverables, so management gets a little more possessive of it.