Documentation on Extending Unity

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Hi,

I'm looking for documentation that helps me understand the internals of Unity (how strategies and policies interact, what they do (or what they are meant to do), how they are used in different build stages). The only piece of documentation I could find on that topic is this:

"Documentation to help you understand ObjectBuilder, and the steps required to create custom container extensions, is available from the Unity Community Web site on CodePlex."

Well, here I am...

Can somebody point me to the right source please?

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Hope someone could address this.  It's really frustrating that there's no comprehensive instructions on creating custom container extensions.  I would really like to be able to know how I can have inject my own logic in object creation.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM

It's a little frustrating for me too, but we just don't have the resources to dedicate to producing this documentation right now. The best bet would be, for the next version, when we do our scenario surveys be sure to vote for extensibility docs. That's the best way to make sure it gets on the backlog.

As it stands, you could learn from the code, but I agree it's complicated.

Oct 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM

@ctavares I read your blog posts about "Deconstructing ObjectBuilder" which gave me an idea about how the different parts interact but from what I can see in the Unity sources its no longer up-to-date. Apart from saving me (and others) a lot of time I would like to check the documentation to see wether I'm "abusing" parts of the Unity infrastructure for things that they were never supposed to do.

I will make sure to vote for the documentation when time is ripe. Thanks!