Support for Unity on older operating systems

Sep 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM

We have a problem: We're a Microsoft shop trying to keep up with the latest in technology, but we have customers who don't want to install the infrastructure to support it. One particularly stubborn customer refuses to move off of Windows Server 2000. Yes, our management has tried everything they can, but to no avail. Our applications are locked at .NET 2.0. I notice that Unity 1.0 has an official minimum OS of Windows 2003. Does anyone have info on the wisdom of trying to run Unity on earlier server versions, in particular 2000?

Thanks!

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:22 PM

We set our system requirements based on what we actually test. Typically we test the current server and desktop OS, and then go one version back. So at the time, it was Server 2008 and Server 2003.

With Unity itself, the OS version really doesn't have much influence; we're not doing anything that really depends on the OS, just on the .NET framework version. So as long as .NET 2.0 runs there, Unity should run there. I'd say give it a try and see what happens.

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. It's helpful to know that the question is .NET version, not any 'under the cover' calls to the OS that are OS version dependent. That makes sense. We appreciate your time and help.

Oct 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I have a similar, requirement except that I'm wanting to run Unity 2 on Windows XP SP2 systems, and Vista SP1.  In lieu of testing Unity with them myself, does anyone have any experience running Unity on those versions?  It appears that Unity 1.2 has no service pack requirements for either of those OS's, so perhaps I should go with that?  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh