Chooser vs. Selector

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:41 PM
Edited Feb 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM
First off... GREAT WORKSHOP! I was clearly out of my league with the IL discussion, but it was an AWESOME experience to be involved and in the room with incredibly talented and deeply knowledgeable individuals.

I wanted to pose a question about the use of the word "Chooser" and wonder if "Selector" might be appropriate for objects such as the ConstructorChooser. To me, Selector seems more appropriate because it seems official, whereas "choosing" signifies some sort of randomness to the process (choosing a flavor of ice cream, for instance -- not sure why I associate this word with food. :) ).

I wish I could have more deep and meaningful feedback for this inspiring framework, but this is the best I can come with for now, sadly. I'm sure I will have much more to provide once I get my first extension built. :)

Thanks again to the p&p staff for hosting this amazing event! Was very insightful for sure...
Feb 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM
Yeah it was a great workshop! Sorry if I talked too much ;)

I 'd vote for Selector too. Or Provider.

And I'd add that Creator could be replaced with Factory.
Feb 21, 2008 at 2:18 PM
Good calls... I'll second those, as well. Especially Factory since this is all about patterns. ;)

No way did you talk too much d00d... I just wish we were all as knowledgeable about this block so that we could have contributed just as much.

This really opened my eyes to IL. I've kinda put it in the same box as COM, as in, it's there, but something you really don't need to know about. However, I'm very impressed that the Unity team has put a lot of effort into making BuildPlans and offering a pretty kickass performance solution when it's needed.

Anyways, it was a good time. I'm lookin' forward to your Extensions!