Unity & ObjectBuilder

Feb 18, 2008 at 3:03 AM
Chris,

Are Unity and ObjectBuilder maintained as separate projects? I ask because I wasn't sure if Object Builder 2 discussions should occur here, or on the existing Object Builder Codeplex project.

Derek
Feb 18, 2008 at 3:27 AM
We're (Unity) maintaining our own branch of the OB2 source code, and making some major changes to it. We'll probably merge them back together somehow, but the details haven't been worked out.

All the current work on OB2 is happening here right now, so'd probably defalt to posting here for now.
Feb 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM
One of the scenarios I'd like to see covered is the ability for attributes to know what type they were used with.

For example, consider the TraceSourceAttribute used within the CAB to facilitate the injection of a TraceSource instance. While the current approach inverts the control of creating this dependency, the object is still required to specify what the name of the TraceSource will be. What I would consider to be "full" IoC in this case would be that an object would only declare that it needs a TraceSource, but wouldn't care whether it is given the same one every other type uses, one specific to its type, one based upon a logical association within a config file, etc. To do this with the old Object Builder, you would have to register a new Strategy. However, if attributes were passed the type they are being used within then this could be done without adding the additional overhead associated with the use of Strategies.

Derek